Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mary Blair!

The Indian Chief from Peter Pan, 1953

Artist Mary Blair would have been 100 years old today, and to join in this week's love-fest for her incredible body of work, I would like to present a few of my personal favorites. Each of these pieces - whether done in pastel chalk, watercolor, or ceramic tile - display the brilliance of her design and color magic. Mary Blair was awesome.

Background study for the "Jesusita en Chihuahua" sequence,
The Three Caballeros, 1945

"You Belong To My Heart" sequence, The Three Caballeros, 1945

"Zandunga" sequence from The Three Caballeros, 1945

"Zandunga" sequence from The Three Caballeros, 1945

Old Saint Nick, Christmas Card

Mermaid Lagoon, Peter Pan, 1953

A nine-tile "test" for the Jules Stein Eye Institute mural, 1966

Mary Blair shares a tandem bicycle ride with her boss in 1941, Rio de Janeiro.

Happy Birthday, Mary Blair, and thanks for all the beauty you gave us.

12 comments:

Katella Gate said...

Beautiful, Thank you Mary.

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Great artwork, missed you at the Mary Blair tribute last night

Ray Breg said...

Great work! As is yours Kevin!

Greetz. Ray

Disney Showcase Key said...

Mary Blair is a huge artist.She has brought her art to Disney with talent.
I've noted that your style, Kevin, has been influenced by Mary too :).

Joel said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Joel Houston
JHouston791@gmail.com

SkillS said...

Nice blog , great work contrats

Rumi said...

I think it could be more general if you get a football sports activity burning man live stream youtube

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rumi said...

I missed this open door really I overlooked the last date of representation accommodation in view of my exams. All things considered, these days I am exceptionally occupied with my exams, well when will happen the following representation accommodation? does anyone know?  
search engine marketing consultant

tike mik said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work!
urbantastebud

tike mik said...

Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.. university of melbourn